Sunday, April 19, 2009

Mushroom Time!



"Thai Style Vegetable Soup

I have been so much in love with "mushrooms" lately. I read from a Thai book that "eating mushrooms can help detoxify the body".Especially cooking together at least 3 kinds of mushroom at a time will give the body more protein than eating meats.
I found an authentic Thai soup mix called "Kaang Lieng" at an Asian market. This soup is a versatile soup for budget-conscious family, you can use any kind of vegetables you have.
The mix contains of salt, dried shrimp (sorry for those who don't eat shrimp), shallot powder, wild ginger powder, pepper powder, sugar, shrimp paste powder (sorry again)and chili powder.
It is very easy to make. You just boil 3 cups of water, add the soup mix and then the vegetables. For me, I put portabella mushroom, white button mushroom, abalone mushroom (canned), dried mushroom, carrots and green papaya. That's all. I don't really need to add anything else, the soup was soooo good. I thought I was eating it in Thailand!!

2 comments:

  1. I love your blog, Oraphan! I love Thai food but don't know how to make any. I would like to try making this. Can I get the ingredients from any type of Asian market - like Murakai or is there a special market that has Thai ingredients?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you, Dee! I bought my Thai ingredients from Saigon Market,#15705, S. Hawthorne Blvd #A, Lawndale, CA 90260, it's very close to my house. Once in a while, I go to Thai Town in Hollywood, I can get a better price but it's too far away.

    ReplyDelete