1) Healthy Cooking Challenge at Vegan Epicurean
I made this soup when I was sick with a bad cough and cold a couple weeks ago and
I recalled that my mom always made it for me when I wasn't feeling well. She just added cooked rice in a pot with boiling water and put whatever meat and vegetables she had on hand, then seasoned it with some soy sauce and black pepper. Wait a second!!!, the magic ingredient that I will never ever forget is... "finely chopped fresh ginger"!!!. Yes, it really is such an amazing comfort food for us all in the family and it has given us a quick recovery from illness!
4 cups water
2 cups cooked brown rice
1 package firm tofu, cut into small pieces
1 small bunch of fresh kale, chopped (or any kind of veggies you prefer)
1 small fresh ginger root, peeled and finely chopped
salt and freshly ground black pepper
1) Put water in a pot and bring to a boil.
2) Add cooked brown rice, tofu, and kale; stir gently.
3) Cook for 5-8 minutes, add a pinch of salt and bring to a boil.
4) Lower the heat, and simmer until kale is tender, about 10 minutes.
5) Garnish with fresh finely chopped ginger and freshly ground black pepper.
"Know what you eat"... as often said by A2Z Vegetarian Cuisine, I now know what to eat when I have a bad cough and cold. When I was sick a couple weeks ago, Alicia at Vegan Epicurean told me that other than drinking hot tea with lemon and honey, she also takes garlic when she is sick. This is what she suggested:
2) Allow the garlic to sit for 10 minutes so the allicin can develop.
3) Swallow the garlic with a big glass of water with each meal.
4) Do not try it on an empty stomach as it can give you an upset stomach.
Alicia and her husband have been doing it for over 10 years and it seems to work in a day, they always feel better. For me, after I tried raw garlic with each meal, I was feeling better in a few days. I have to say I pretty much believe in this home remedy because it usually takes me at least a week or so to get over the cough and cold but this time it was gone so fast! Believe it or not, why don't you give it a try when you feel a cold coming on!!!
Oh! Well! I have to confess that this event did really make me laugh like crazy when I read about it. I laughed even more when I saw the Event Round Up because all those stories and photos look and sound similar to what normally happen in my very own kitchen. This is just one out of countless mishaps from my kitchen, lol!
Topless Chocolate Cake
I have wanted to make chocolate cake with a bundt pan for the longest time. I finally did make it last December. I remembered how my old neighbor, Allison showed me how to put chocolate chips in the pan first before pouring in the cake batter.
Oh! No! I forgot to spray the bundt!!! Oopsy!!! I did it again!!!!